Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Definiton: Condition.

When in sunny Jamaica, one looks forward to lots of beach lounging, conch eating, and fruity drinks with expertly placed umbrellas swimming atop. And lots of sunshine, Caribbean waves, and indoor sports. (Yeah, I said it.)

But when the sky darkens and the clouds fill in Jamaica (or as the locals refer it it, "liquid sunshine") one can allow it to dampen spirits, as well as beach towels and flip-flops. Last October we spent a week in Montego Bay with our dear friends, Scott & Suzanne, and while there chose to ride out the frequent downpours with fun, games, and a particular book we always pack on trips.

Here's my Scott with Suzanne...riding out a storm on the porch of our suite:

They're both going to kill me for posting this picture, but that's not the point. (Also not the point, but it bears mentioning--Suzanne looks so much like Insane Mama that it freaks me out! In a good way, of course. Hard to tell in this picture, but one day I'll post a side-by-side comparasion.)

The point is that while Scott and Suzanne are sitting in the shelter, Scott and I (the other Scott, that is) are across from them, reading questions from the book If...(Questions for the Game of Life) by Evelyn McFarlane & James Saywell.


It's so fun, y'all! This little book is full of questions meant to be asked in any kind of setting or situation, but it's most fun when shared amongst friends. Such as:

*If you could realize a dream that you have had while asleep, what dream would you pick? (That's easy...the one I had the other night about Edward Cullen. Ahem.)

*If you had to select the most beautiful face in history, whose face would you pick? (Again, easy...Grace Kelly. Or my late Memaw. Or my husband.)

*If you could make a sequel to any movie you have ever seen, which one would it be? (Oh, please...The Goonies, hands down. They'd go on an adventure as adults, sans Sloth, may he rest in peace.)

We've spent hours playing the If game with some of our best friends, and the answers given are always funny and thought-provoking, and more times than not, the responses spark fascinating conversations perfect for passing rain-soaked hours in the Caribbean. Or in your own home, of course. Or while in the drive-through at Sonic. (Which we don't have in our little mountain town, but whatever.) Or while waiting on your hibachi chef to commence with the chopping and sizzling and entertaining already.

Because I think we should all be playing a page from the book of If, here's a question for y'all:

*If you could be on the cover of any magazine next month, which magazine would you want it to be, and what would the caption read?

My answer? It's a toss-up between People--"Finally Thin!" and Sci-Fi Magazine--"Southern Belle Revels In Her Geek Status!"

OK, and maybe Rolling Stone, with the caption being, "Southwest Virginian Wife & Mother Produces Oscar-Nominated, Chart-Topping Soundtrack." And then I'd love for Scott and I to be on the cover of Home Life: "God Did This!"

So I never play by the rules...I can't pick just one. And if Brad & Angelina can be on multiple publication covers every week, so can I. This is my blog and my dream, thankyouverymuch.

Play along with me, y'all. I won't even pretend that I'm not nosey in the least bit.

p.s. Christmas in July winner announced tomorrow, y'all. I can hardly stand it! Woo-wooooo!

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine would be In Style: Vicki D, Stay At Home Mom With Serious Style. I'd have to get the style first though. But I'm living in Lulaville so I can dream big.

Oh! It could be Everyday With Rachel Ray: Mom Shares Fried Poop Sandwich (Click here and scroll down to Lula's comment.)

Unknown said...

Ummm... I would pick Bride Magazine and the cover would read "Worlds Sweetest Engagement Story Ever"

Debbie said...

Good Housekeeping
"CPA turned Mommy Blogger Makes it Big"

Fun fun question. I need to check back and see the other comments!

Unknown said...

i don't even know....maybe slate with the headline: woman dies in a pile of trash from internet addiction

Rhea said...

I wouldn't mind being on the cover of Playboy. Ok, just kidding.

I have this book at home! It is full of fun questions. :o)

I want to be on the cover of Writer's Digest or one of those writing magazines...as a featured author. I'd be happy with that.

swilek said...

WOW...love the sound of this book...i need to go out and get me one. I have always LOVED asking questions. I have a "would you rather " book so now must get this one! So to answer your question...

"Hello" Crazy Canuck engaged to George Clooney!!

"O Magazine" Canadian Talk Show host ousts Oprah from the top spot!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Mine would be Shape: World's Hottest Body or any other creative magazine that says "The New Martha"

LaQuintamomof3 said...

I am going to have to think about this one -too early in CA to use the brain- more coffee!
Haven't been by in a while, just wanted to drop in and say hello.

Caroline said...

Oh, let me have time to process this. I'm all in a haze because as you probably know, today's my big SITS day and I haven't had my coffee. I'm no good today.

Unknown said...

Your hubby will probably then get a LARGE kick out of the fact that I was WORKING at the THEATER when that movie came out... oh how I loved that. Really. Loved it.

Cristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cristin said...

I'd be on the cover of 'Potty Training Weekly' with the caption;

"They don't go to college in diapers? You haven't met MY kid"

Anonymous said...

Mine would be vogue or vanity fair and it would be one of those fabulous while pregnant spreads. I would be all hot looking and the air brushing would make me one of those glowy pregnant ladies who still have sticks for thighs and arms.

Brandy said...

Good questions but I have to think about this...there are so many magazine covers and it's bogging my thoughts to pick one.

That books sounds like a lot of fun!

Brandy

Rachelle Lynne said...

Shape Magazine:

SAHM/Tax Queen Gets Body of her Dreems in just 10 Days Turn to page 12 to learn how! :)

scargosun said...

Well...they never have people on the front of cooking magazines so maybe I could be the first. :)

Insane Mama said...

I'm with Rhea, Playboy! Or people. "O" Magazine (not orgasm) Oprah and she could be hugging me and announcing that I am going to take her place in the world and help third world countries and I would rule the world!
ps I love that I look like one of your closest friends.

Swirl Girl said...

I would be gracing the cover of Tiffany catalogue with the caption reading : The Winner! Keep What You Grab Contest!

shallow, but a girl can dream, can't she?

Mama Dawg said...

I have to confess. I stopped reading once I saw you mention a potential sequel to "Goonies"...off I went in to my head to see how that would play out. I know Sean Astin's looking for work and Josh Brolin's just coming off the Dubya bio-pic...Corey Feldman is always looking for work and who's seen Martha Plimpton lately?

This is entirely do-able. Let's get together and write the screenplay, 'K?

Mama Dawg said...

OK. Sharing the cover of People with you with our Oscar for best screenplay for "Goonies: The Sequel".

Yeah, I said it. So, there.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

How about I share that People cover with you. While we explain how you get thin sitting on your rear blogging and eating peanut m&ms all day.

Marrdy said...

I think I'd like to be on the front of Rachel Rays magazine with the caption....Marrdy, The Latest Food Network Superstar, Good Bye Rachel!! Yum - O!!

Aunt Julie said...

Thanks for the recommendation! We're going to the beach in 10 days with Aunt Julie, Uncle Lynn and all the cousins, so I'ma gonna pick that sucker up! BTW, don't tell her, but Suzanne DOES look some kinda insane. Doesn't she know it NEVER rains in paradise? :)

Melissa said...

I don't know what magazine, maybe Rolling Stone, "Cure-esque type girl band formed by blogging buddies....."

CaraBee said...

Mine would be Health Magazine - "Forget Diets and Exercise: Woman Attends 15th High School Reunion After Spontaneously Losing 50 Pounds From Sheer Willpower"

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

So cool! I have to get that book tomorrow as we are heading to the beach. One needs to be prepared for rain! Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and I would dream to be on Popular Photography with the caption "Photographer of the Year." One can dream, can't she?

Just Lisa said...

Business Weekly: "Greedygrace made millions writing mindless drivel... And now you can, too!"

Caroline said...

I think I would be on the cover of Home Life as the newest Dove Award-winning singer/songwriter or
People Magazine as the best darn 911 dispatcher in the history of the free world!

Tiffany said...

Forbes: The Secret to Success is Support. SITS: A National Phenomenon.

The pic would be of me and Heather looking hot and classy.

Unknown said...

NZ Women's Weekly 'Footloose & Fancy Free Kiwi Finally Finds Her Way Home!'

Heather W said...

I love that book and will be driving my kids to Barnes & Nobles tomorrow to pick it up. Love It!!! Okay, my magazine(s) would be: Fortune 500 (picture it: Me just covered in diamond jewlery and in a fabulous dress by Yves Saint Laurent, surrounded by my all matching Louis Vuitton luggage, which by the way is a dream of mine and has been since I was a kid. I know weird) Caption to read: "Texas Stay-At-Home Mom Strikes Oil In Her Backyard While Planting Her Sago Palm" The other would be O Magazine and the caption would read: "The Only Person Oprah Has Ever Let Be On The Cover of Her Magazine"

sassy stephanie said...

I was nosing around your place and this post took me back. I have this book as well. Loved it in "those" college nights!

Found you through one of the SITS girls!