Sunday, July 6, 2008

I was drunk the day my Maw got out of prison.

"I say leave me alone, I'm singing all night long, it's a family tradition..."--Hank Williams, Jr.

It's a rare Litton Family get together that a little Hank Williams, Jr. isn't played. And Rocky Top. Darn Tennessee football fans. Ugh, don't even get me started...GO DAWGS!

"It was all that I could do to keep from cryin'..."--David Allan Coe
Yeah, we wear out "You Never Even Call Me By My Name." Because we are rednecks. Classy rednecks for sure, but red just the same. (This posts's title is from this song--for those of you wondering. My "Maw" has never been drunk, nor in prison.)

Look 'em up on iTunes, y'all...Hank and Mr. Coe are the poet laureates of the South. Yep.

The thing I love about marrying into an enormous family is that we have the best time when we all get together. Scott has a fabulous family...I adore all his aunts, uncles, cousins, grandmothers and especially the Outlaw Inlaws, which is what We Who Married Into This Family are known as. We are a fun bunch, if I do say so myself. And I just did!

Every Independence Day weekend Scott's cousin, Stephanie (they are just 2 months apart in age--she is younger---you can thank me for that later, Steph!) and her husband, Pat, have a big cookout for their families and friends. We eat a lot, drink a lot, swim a lot, gossip a lot, laugh a lot, and talk a bunch of bull. We look forward to this every year--it's like Christmas in summertime. But without that sickening, full feeling after the big meal. Or a nap. Or football. Or the gifts.

I took about 50 pictures at the Potter Pool Party, but I'll spare y'all that drama and share just a few. See how I take care of my wonderful readers? Why yes, you are welcome.


Here's me holding our newly-turned 1 year old cousin, Logan Ashley Lloyd (who just flew into town with Kim, her mommy)! Oh, who am I kidding? Of course this is not me. This is Scott's cousin, Courtney. Knew I couldn't fool y'all! 'Cause my boobs are bigger than Court's. Ahem. (No one in the Litton family better mutter, "That ain't all that's bigger." Not one of you!)

Dear, sweet, handsome, camera-shy Cameron. We could barely get him to pose, let alone smile for the lens. He didn't try to make it into any pictures all day. Boy, am I glad I was able to capture this one. Yeeeeaaaaaah. Cameron, bless his heart, is the lone male great grandchild. Can you tell he's devastated by this?

Here's my sweet Caroline, with her cousins, Logan, and Molly, who just turned 3. Living in the lap of floating luxury suits them, no?

Scott and his cousin, Matthew, who is always a hit with the kids. His nephew and nieces adore him, and the other cousins literally beg Matt to play with them anytime he's around. (Libbey did more than beg this afternoon--she pleaded. Love her heart.) Matthew is a big kid himself. And he's cute. And single. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Here's Pat, our host for the day. (Or "Patrick," as he forced me to call him in Lulaville. Patrick, does that make you sound more dignified, do you think? Who knew that's all it took?) Everyone needs a Patrick in their family. In fact, I love him so much I've decided to do an entire Pat-centric post in the very near future. Because y'all haven't lived 'til you've learned more about cousin Pat. It's all good. But he won't be wearing UT shirts in that post--this is the one and only time the Volunteers get any reference of any kind in Lulaville. (Except, of course, if we beat them this fall--and then I'll go berserk with Bulldog love. And I say if because we here in SEC country know the Dawgs' track record against UT. Let's not discuss it anymore, please.)

Let's get a conversation going, y'all. Share your weekend fun with the rest of us. Big family get-together, such as ours? Romantic weekend for two? (Mrs. R, you still win!) Trip to the beach? Fireworks in a grand locale? Party for over 50 people? (Cough-cough...Heather...cough-cough.) How did y'all celebrate your freedom this weekend? Thanks for sharing ours with me and my fabulous family.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These were taken July 3rd...I couldn't resist:

Seriously the best face paiting job I've ever seen. Thanks, Carla!

I'm quite certain this is what pure joy looks like.

30 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

I never knew what a "dawg" was until we moved to GA. I kept asking my husband, "What are all those big Gs for?" I'm an idiot, it's true. You peeps are crazy about your school. And I thought Texas Aggies were scary. :) I guess I can blame my lack of school pride on the fact that I went to some no-name university in the hood.

Glad you all had fun! That pool looks mighty good right now.

Anonymous said...

This 4th of July I was celebrating my independence from Missouri. We arrived at our new house, unloaded what possessions we brought with us, met a neighbor and went to his house for a barbecue. For fireworks we watched them as we headed to WalMart at 9:30pm to get an air mattress.

As for David Alan Coe. I was just thinking about him on the 4th of July. Long drives make me reminisce. I saw him at Mama's in Decatur and almost got in a fight with another girl over who was going to be closer to the stage. I won. I always made my way to the front up to the stage.

Anonymous said...

We didn't do too much this weekend-However, I did do a little cleanin (see my last post)
Anyway, we have Big Daddies big family throw down party the last week in July at Orange Beach- He has a large extended partyin family like yours- A good time will be had by all!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah- us Southern MS fans will be amongst all the AUburn family fans at the beach- A few Georgia bulldogs and Tennesee fans would just even it all out- Come on!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I spent my 4th at Target. And packing. Sent my group to the inlaws for the day. So I wouldn't have to. I am so envious of your relationship with the "other-side" of your family...

I'm off to the pool to watch for blog fodder :-)

Unknown said...

We were just gonna hang and then Ka's daycare mom called and invited us over for the day. Ka had a blast with her friends, and I had a nice time with the adults. It was a conglomeration of people who didn't know each other so it was perfect. Didn't feel like I had intruded on a family party. Then KA and I found some fireworks to watch and that was about it. It sure was nice to have her here and get to watch fireworks through the eyes of a 5-year-old.

Insane Mama said...

I have been at the beach and I and my kids are so sunburned! I swear we put on sunscreen, maybe it's expired or something. Love the pics and I was all ready to drool about you and your hot body!
You tricked me

Pinky Roth said...

Looks like ya'll had a blast! Wish I could have been there w/you. Your pictures are great...

love,

mom

AFRo said...

Hotty Toddy gosh almighty... who the hell are we? Flim flam bim bam Ole Miss by damned!!!

I love me some Rocky Top though.

Great pics and I'm totally jealous that you can actually wear a bikini and look uber hot in it. What's your secret?

Heather said...

What a good, hot, southern lovin', red neck glory post. I love the summertime.

TentCamper said...

Wow Dear! I was about to say that you and your hot, perky body was going to give Insane Mama a run for the "Hot Award."

...But that is only because I am not in the contest.

CaraBee said...

Pretty quiet around our house this weekend. Which is a-okay with me. I was thinking what a hot bod you have! Tricky. And that Matt IS a cutie. I have some single friends...

ugagirl30 said...

I guess Independence Day gives Pat(rick), which is my son's middle name btw, the freedom to decide what shirt he is going to wear, but however it does not excuse the stupidity (said lovingly b/c I don't know Pat) for choosing to wear a UT shirt. Poor man! Poor, poor man! I'll have to see what kind of UGA shirt I can come up with for him.

We had a eatin', fishin;, four wheelin', swimmin' good time. I posted some pics of the kids.

Glad you had a Great 4th!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Hellllllooooo Matthew! If I wasn't already blissfully married to a hunk, I would be all about that!

Oh, so sorry. Didn't mean to drool.

And yes, I believe that picture is right next to the world joy in the dictionary! Great capture.

Unknown said...

I love hearing about those big old Southern partay's (Lula language). We had a low key day because it rained and rained and rained. Did I mention we haven't had rain for weeks...until 4th of July...so we watched movies, played board games, grilled (in the rain)...and watched illegal fireworks in our neighborhood ;)

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

That is a great face painting job!

Tiffany said...

Will I be considered an Outlaw Inlaw when we get this marriage finalized... what's the legal age in Virginia... like 12?

Ha!

Unknown said...

Whip me, beat me, take away my charge cards, it's Nasa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Jinx put Max in space, Jinx can get Max back....

Unknown said...

Hideo Takamini!
Right here!
Hideo Takamini?
Actually it's pronounced "Kevin Donaldson"

Unknown said...

I'll stop now...

Swirl Girl said...

Love the picture of sheer joy. I think you captured it.

Oh- and hotsy totsy you go girl in the bikini! And, not the mommmy bikini, the real deal! I am jealous!

Lula! said...

OK, y'all...
Go back and reread (I caught y'all--skimming!) the part where I say, "OK, it's not REALLY me in the bikini." 'Cause it's not, much to my chagrin.

The beauty in blue is my husband's cousin, Courtney. She is 27. She is unmarried. She has no children.

I rest my case.
Just so y'all know!

Gina said...

Can I come next year? I mean right after I get back from touring DC with Debbie.

Anonymous said...

oh, I was about to be so jealous that you managed to bear kids and wear a bikini and no stretch marks. Esp. since my tummy looks like a flabby map of boston.

Ahh, you shouldn't have ruined the secret ;)

Teri said...

Your family stuff sounds a ton more exciting than my family stuff. I need to start the Margarita IV's before anyone arrives just so I can pretend that I am interested. And my kids love the D.A. Coe drinking song. Impresses the family. :-)

Rhea said...

Adorable kid pictures!

Rockin' blue bikini! You're givin' Insane Mana a run for her money. hehe

In high school we listened to a lot of Hank Williams, Jr and David Allen Co. Just can't go wrong with those guys. They're awesome.

Lula! said...

OK, y'all...I know you are not reading. You've been caught and now outed!

IT IS NOT ME IN THE BLUE BIKINI!!!!! That's all I have to say about that...

Love, peace, and chicken grease, y'all.

Rhea said...

Well, darnit, I was reading but reading too fast apparently. Sorry!!!

-Bridget said...

Sounds like fun. We had a fun weekend at the lake.