Tuesday, July 1, 2008

It's in the Bag.

Here's one of my beach bags. Yes, I said one...and before someone asks, yes, they are all monogrammed. Don't y'all know me well enough by now? I have a big bag full of towels and a smaller bag to hold pertinents such as books, sunscreen, sunglasses, and one very special item. As promised yesterday I'll share my #1 beach bag necessity with y'all.

This very special thing is pictured above . Do y'all see it? It's not the suncreen, but let's give another shoutout to Coppertone, my summer love. And while SPF is indeed the most important thing you can put on your person while in the sun, there is one other item I deem even more useful than sunblock.

Keep looking. It's in plain sight, just like Carrie's money jar. (Funniest post ever--go read after you've finished my not-nearly-the-funniest-post ever.)

It's not a drink koozie, however those things are pretty swell and useful when hiding illegal Land Shark on the beach. (Which I didn't do...hello, my kids were with me! No gettin' lushy in the sand when the girls are around.)

OK, OK...since there's not much else in the bag, I'll go ahead and out my favorite product:

What? You don't read Good Housekeeping? Real Simple? InStyle? Thank God y'all have me to set you straight on these things. I know this is what y'all are saying. Nod your heads in unison.

As much as I adore the ocean and sand, I abhor the feeling of millions of granules sticking to my body, especially in places that are normally minty fresh. All that twitching & itching drives me insane. Don't even get me started on trying to keep sand off the thumb of a particularly precious two and a half year old who is still rather fond of placing said appendage in her mouth. Baby powder to the rescue!

Here's how it works:
I have no idea.

Here's what I do know:

Shake a handful onto dry hands (that are still sandy, of course) and rub them together....instant smoothness, y'all. The sand is GONE! Pour some down your chest...on your legs...wherever you're feeling uncomfortable and whenever a shower isn't close at hand.

Yeah, baby powder. I buy the Target brand. Johnson & Johnson's, while the classic standard, is far too expensive to be used frivolously on the shore.

I wish y'all could see the stares garnered when I break out my trusty powder and fling clouds of it around my general area. Last week a family I didn't know stared at me before finally asking, "What does that do?" I replied, "I dunno--but it works--no foolin'!"

They were my kind of people, because instantly the mother and her two teenaged daughters were reaching for the container, putting it on their hands and calves, exclaiming, "This does work!" and "We are so going to Walmart this afternoon to get our own!"

Oh, I know, people...Lula comes through every time. No thanks are necessary. I'm sure our shared contempt for beach discomfort is the bond that brings us closer together. And if all it takes is one simple product for an easy solution...well you're certain I'm gonna make it known to each of you.

It's just the kind of person I am. Most of the time. And if you are fortunate enough to have been aware of baby powder's beach brilliance, why the heck aren't you sharing it with the world?

See? This is why y'all have me. Sometimes I'm as helpful as Heloise, only without that flowing mane of white. And a column in Good Housekeeping. Whatever...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several of you have inquired about my beach reads from last week. Here goes:

The Luxe and Rumors, by Anna Godbersen, both classified as "Young Adult" novels. They were great reads--lots of heaving chests, beguiling glances, backstabbing & conniving, and fervent, stolen kisses. Just my style! These are part of a series, with the newest one, Envy, arriving in September.

Sail by James Patterson. A quick read, but entertaining as always. James and I are thisclose.

Lost Souls, by Lisa Jackson. Vampyre (her spelling) stuff. Remember, I'm a closet-Goth.

Marked, by PC Cast and Kristin Cast. The first in a series by this mother/daughter writing team, about a Vampyre (again, the authors' spelling) finishing school called "The House of Night." 'Nuff said.

There ya go--my summer beach reads. Now I'm moving on to the pile on my bedroom floor, 'cause I gotta get caught up before Breaking Dawn comes out in 33 days. 33 days!!! Woo-hoo!


31 comments:

scargosun said...

I still have not tried that trick mostly b/c the sand is not too bad sticking-wise where we go. BTW - Landshark is our new fave beer. Must have in the fridge at all times.

Unknown said...

cool trick. now just to get to the beach to try it out. some people aren't liking the beach, which makes it tough to get there.

CaraBee said...

That is fantastic! I'm definitely taking some baby powder the next time I'm anywhere sandy. Thanks for the reading list! Those books are going on my hold list at the library stat.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Baby powder? Really? Does it help with the horrid sandy foot problem? We rinse off...and then all the sand sticks to us. So...we don't need to rinse, just put on powder? We leave for the beach in 3 days...

Unknown said...

Oh well, I missed it! I just knew it was sunscreen! And yes everyone it does work! Just ask Caroline! She loved laying in the sand, but wa-la, the baby powder took it right off! And Abby, was miserably covered with sand until her Aunt Kim rubbed her in baby powder and no more itchy sand!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Oooh good trick. I did not know that Lula. But my whiteness barely graces the beach. So sad. In my next life I am going to be tan...in heaven that is. I am going to trade my whiteness for some sun-kissed heavenly body.

Anonymous said...

I knew it! We beach goers have to have all the hints and tricks possible. Thanks for sharing it with the world though!

leezee52 said...

I know this sounds weird but I love baby powder too! It's a must in the summer. I have many little bottles from when my Mom was in the hospital, little sample ones.

Caroline said...

Great. Now I just need something that when I rub it on my tummy, inner thighs, hips, etc., all the cellulite falls off and I find myself silky smooth. Oh wait, its called liposuction. Bet you can't get the Target brand of that.

-Bridget said...

Great tip! I'll be sure to carry that along next trip.

And great read choices. I'm a nerdy sci fi junkie and a wanna be goth.

AFRo said...

Oooo... Thanks for the tip! Now if I can just find some money to go to the beach.

Tiffany said...

I am starting Twilight again too... got to get ready for the new book!!!

This is a great idea and I can totally picture you and your beach boobs in a cloud of powder.

Tiffany said...

Okay, wait. That sounded like some sort of weird fantasy... I mean, it but look really funny.. er...what did I mean?

Melissa said...

Best dang advice I've gotten all year. I wish I'd had it about 2 weeks ago! You are 4-eva impressing me 'oh blond tan goddess of Johnson & Johnson!!!'

Melissa said...

Correction: 'Oh blond, tan goddess of the red bullseye!' I obviously didn't read all the way down! My hubby is beckoning and I was trying to rush, nuff said.... :)

Anonymous said...

Target here I come- Headed to the beach in 3 weeks-I'll be the envy of the entire family-

Debbie said...

Uh, hello, I have a subscription to Good Housekeeping thus, I did know about the baby powder. But shame on me, because I've never really tried it. I'm so lame...we go to the Outer Banks every year and I have never used the baby powder. Again, I'm so lame. Thanks for the reminder though. What do you think of the spray on sunscreen. The aerosol one? I like it but it lasts for only about two applications it seems and then you have to buy more at 10 bucks a pop. Rip.Off. Good night my sweet BFF.

Anonymous said...

hello fellow SITS gal! please check out my blog. I am sharing the love!

http://startinganotherchapter.blogspot.com/

Sunshine said...

I've learned so much! I too have to go to Walmart tomorrow! ;D

John Deere Mom said...

Love the bag! I have beach bags too and I don't go to the beach! That's a true bag lover, right there. I agree with the sand idea. We use it here after the kids have been in the sandbox. Works great!

ugagirl30 said...

Never heard that tip--thanks for sharing. And there is nothing wrong with a monogram or two or twenty. Nobody should be hatin' the monos.

Ab said...

A-freaking-MAZING! Maybe with a little baby powder, I can overcome my hatred of the beach (because I just hate, hate, hate sand)!

Thanks for the fab tip!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Boston - and was at the beach most every weekend during the summer. I spotted the tell-tale perforated top of the baby powder bottle in your bag.

My friends laughed at me when I pulled it out one time at the beach. But nothing gets the sand off better.

I usually use it when I get back to my car - so I can get the last of the sand off of my feet and calves before hopping in.

Candid Carrie said...

Don't let that get out any further than necessary. Next thing you know there will be a special baby powder tax and a shortage and rations. Ssshh. You should have announced the secret through PayPal and for a buck a head you could have revealed it.

Nan said...

Hi Lula! Found you via SITS and a friend's site. I live at the beach and recently tried this trick and it works great, not to mention how silky smooth your hands and feet feel when done. And, I am a total geek! The baby powder absorbs the moisture from your skin, causing the sand to not adhere and fall right off. Geek right? That's ok, I am not offended, I taught high school chemistry...I got it a lot :) Love the blog!

Angie's Spot said...

I had completely forgotten about this little trick! Thanks for the reminder. Now our backyard sandbox play will be far more bearable. :-)

angela | the painted house said...

You are a wealth, a WEALTH, of pertinent information. I cannot wait to smell like a giant baby's rear end the next time I head to the beach. Thank you!

Is anyone else thinking Ross in leather pants?

Anonymous said...

Oh I think my husband could fall in love with you for that trick!!! Seriously! He hates sand, he said we could move to the beach as soon as they pave it, LOL

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

Ah! Thanks for the baby powder tip! I never knew that! I don't often get a chance to go to a place that has sand, but when I do, this sure will come in handy!

Lynne said...

Hi LULA! I've also read this tip before...always wondering if it worked...I'm going to Montalk next week and I'm up for trying it! I had sand...I'm not really a sand person b/c I had the gritty and stickyness! I hope it works...I'd love to de-sand my 3 yr old b/f he gets into the car! Thanks! Your site is great and your posts are hilarious! You had me laughing!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Just blog hopping tonight and enjoyed reading your blog...I am posting on our Disney trip so hope you will stop by. Also, the June giveaway starts today...all comments left in June will be in the drawing for the "June Card Box"! You will have to go down a few posts to read about the monthly giveaway.