Monday, November 16, 2009

Handkerchief In Hand...

I've loved music for all of my almost-35 years. Many songs have moved me to tears, but no song has made the waterworks flow as quickly as this one...

"Poison and Wine," by John Paul White and Joy Williams, also known as The Civil Wars.


Back in the Spring I received a text from sweet Bekah, telling me to run to MySpace, to download The Civil Wars' free, live album...which I did, because 95% of the time I comply when Bekah requests something of me. (That live album is, without a doubt, my favorite musical offering of 2009.)

I sat at my computer, weeping, the instant I heard John Paul sing the opening line...
"You only know what I want you to..."

I have lived the words of this song. No, not with my husband, but in past relationships, both platonic and romantic. This song slays me. It is exquisitely painful. And I wanted to share it with y'all. Please listen...and don't say you haven't been warned. There might be tears. Mine...and yours...

p.s. Thanks, Bekah--again--for the text alerting me that, "The Civil Wars have made a video for Poison & Wine!" You're the kind of enabler I really love. Please visit the taco truck for me this week...and send a pic!

20 comments:

Michelle said...

That was great! My love for music has gone to the wayside since having babies...I'm not sure why. Anyways, it's great when I have a moment to listen to a great song.

Thanks for sharing...

Kate said...

Bekah didn't text me (although I'm tots jealous) but since I read her blog I also discovered The Civil Wars and this song in particular last Spring. I also absolutely cried the first time I listened to it. It is heart-breakingly beautiful. The Civil Wars are definitely my favorite 2009 find...coincidentally, my other favorite find is Laura Marling who I heard of via Bekah who heard her via you. Way to go Lula & Bekah! Thanks for sharing beautiful music with me.

brainella said...

Wow. Gorgeous -- I'd never heard of them before. Need to check it out... :)

mercurial mary said...

thank you thank you thank you. Next time Bekah makes a recommendation, twitter me!!!

Kristen said...

Straight up j'adore.

Fidgeting Gidget said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing....off to find their album.

Suzann said...

This song (and video) is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Claremont First Ward said...

I haven't heard this before.....I'm going to come back when I can listen to the lyrics.

Kori said...

I LOVE THIS SONG TOO. I THINK YOU COULD BE MY WONDER TWIN. LOVE YOU BIG!

Elena said...

Man coming from Jennifer P's post today to this is a tough combo....Beautiful song.

Stephanie said...

Loved it! Now I want to hear more of their music!! Thanks!

Ivy said...

You are one cool chic! You and Lauren and Bekah and so many others. I am inspired daily as I sit at my computer reading what you guys have to say on your blogs or even in your tweets.
Thanks for the daily smiles... and today, the tears :*(
Cheers

Vicki said...

I love her voice! Kinda like Lucinda Williams or Alison Krauss, but not quite.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Am I really 2 days late to your post. I could have sworn I was checking in everyday as usual just waiting and waiting.....:)

Anyhoo, I am going home for lunch and in addition to sitting outside for a bit to soak up some sun I will listen to this. Can't wait.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow. I didn't cry but I wanted to. The words speak a lot to me right now...more than I am able to say. That was beautifully sad. Thanks for sharing Leigh Anne!!!

CaraBee said...

Such a beautiful song. They remind me of the Swell Season, who I absolutely ADORE, with the male-female harmony and the acoustic guitar.

Heather said...

I ADORE that they're playing instruments in different rooms. BRILLIANT!! Such musical imagery. Downloading now.

Heather said...

Back to say...the closeup of them singing together. So close like that. Hotness.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh, meant to tell you they played this song on Grey's Anatomy recently. I was like, yep, heard it from Lula 1st. Of course.

SunshineBarlowe.com said...

I can almost be certain ..that we will hear this song..on one of our favorite shows.. seriously. it's famous.